I wanted to keep some kind of journal about my life living in England, and I figured what better way to do that, while also keeping my friends and family up to date, than with a blog. So here it is - enjoy; I know I am!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Off To See The Wizard

Last night my friends and I went to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's newest broadway spectacular, The Wizard of Oz on the West End.  Quite honestly, I didn't really have the highest expectations for two main reasons: first of all the show didn't have the best reviews when it opened only a short time ago in February; secondly, the last few shows I have seen that have been based on a film haven't really been at the top of my list.  I think it's because I have such a high standard for the shows with such specific expectations based on the films that I adore.  Legally Blonde and The Lion King are two perfect examples of this; not that I didn't enjoy the shows (I mean, all musicals are fun and entertaining), but I was just not as in awe as I normally am when I watch a really good musical.
This show, however, was a really pleasant surprise - in fact, it was fantastic!  The sets were incredible; there were amazing special effects (in true Webber fashion, the witch and monkeys flew down from the ceiling to the stage!); the costumes and make-up were fabulous; not to mention the actors and singing which were simply excellent - I must mention that Dorothy is played by eighteen year old Danielle Hope, winner of Andrew Lloyd Webber's reality show Over the Rainbow (so she has no professional experience whatsoever), and she was sensational!  The Wicked Witch and hilariously camp Cowardly Lion were also wonderful and were probably my favourite characters in the show (apart from the uber adorable Toto, of course).
It was a show that generated such a magnificent nostalgia for my childhood and had me smiling all the way through (and admittedly even dabbing at a few tears).  I am very happy I had the chance to experience the land over the rainbow before I leave for home.

No comments: