I wanted to keep some kind of journal about my life living in England, and I figured what better way to do that, while also keeping my friends and family up to date, than with a blog. So here it is - enjoy; I know I am!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Birthdays, Ballet, Bowling, and a Band

Weeks like the one that just recently passed are what I live for! Friday June 17th was Laura’s twenty fifth birthday and so, naturally, we had a huge party celebration after work. We hadn’t all partied together in a while (and, soon, won’t again for a long time) so it was a super fun, albeit a super sad, night. I have to admit, there were drunken tears later on in the evening at Moons (the club we usually go to); I just couldn’t help it!
The next day we, in our ridiculously hung over states, made our way to London for the Royal Ballet’s performance of Romeo and Juliet at the O2 arena.
We bought these tickets ages ago and it was something I had been looking forward to for months; after all, Shakespeare and ballet are two of my absolute favourite things. The show was simply beautiful, and the way they set up the stage was very cool. Since there is no pit at the O2 they put the orchestra in a narrow glass box above the stage so the audience could see them as they played.
I have to say though, there were times when it was a bit slow. They had these incredibly long intervals between scenes, not to mention some of the more dramatic moments in the ballet when it was just Romeo or Juliet on stage moping around very melancholy-like, but not actually dancing. Even for a lover of dance, it was a bit much (although probably being over-tired didn’t help matters).
Furthermore, I’m not sure everyone in the audience was fully up to speed with the characters or plot. Actually, scratch that. I know everyone in the audience was not up to speed. Sarah, in particular, leaned over to me at one point and said in a most unimpressed voice, “what the hell is going on?” It was even difficult at times for me, who knows the play like the back of my hand, to follow who was who and what was going on. I don’t know if it’s just because the choreographer didn’t want to spoon feed or patronize the audience, but he should have made it more obvious who the characters were; it would have been simple with the use of more symbolic colours, like black for Tybalt and white for Mercutio, for example. 
I am being very negative here though and have failed to mention all the wonder that the show had to offer. The dancing was phenomenal, especially from the leads. There were arching leaps, caressing lifts, graceful spins…all in all it was a brilliant performance. One scene in particular that stands out was near the end of the ballet when Romeo arrives at Juliet’s tomb; it was a beautiful, touching scene where Romeo dances with Juliet’s “dead” body while she hangs completely limp. Not only was this scene extremely moving, but it also started up our newest favourite thing to say to one another: “when I die will you dance with my dead body?” Hah! We crack me up.  After the ballet we had a much-needed greasy dinner at GBK and then headed home for an early night’s sleep.
The next day Jason was celebrating his 31st birthday just like the little boy he is inside – with a children’s party at the Maidstone bowling alley.
Sarah, Simmy, Charlotte and I went together and met Jason, his wife Helen and a bunch of his friends there. It was actually so much fun! It was exactly as I remember children’s birthdays, with hats, streamers, candy and chocolate, and even children’s meals – little burgers or pizzas or chicken nuggets with fries. We bowled (I scored an impressive 68, haha) and partied like we were twelve. It was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
Although going back to work on Monday was a struggle, I had Wednesday to look forward to. I took the first train after work and made my way back to London, Hyde Park, for the Kings of Leon concert.
It had been pouring rain (like, literally cats and dogs) all day and Sarah and I were really worried that we were going to end up drenched to the bone. Luckily for us, though, the rain died down and it was a nice, sunny evening at the show.
Kings of Leon put on a good show, although I have to say it is not the best concert I have ever been to.  I thought that they didn't have the sound up loud enough for whatever reason as I struggled to hear the words all the time.  They did play Notion, though, my favourite song of theirs, so that made me happy.  It was a great night; I basically just want to spend as much time with Sarah as possible before I go home, so it was totally worth it.
This was, needless to say, a very busy week, and I can't believe it's come and gone already.  Before I know it I will be home again...but until then, well, I guess you'll have to stay tuned.

No comments: