I wanted to keep some kind of journal about my life living in England, and I figured what better way to do that, while also keeping my friends and family up to date, than with a blog. So here it is - enjoy; I know I am!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Singing With My Sisters

"Here Britny, open your birthday present." - Me
(Britny opens card)
"Sister Act!?  Yay!  I was wondering what show I was going to get!" - Britny
That brief conversation basically sums up each and every one of our birthdays because, as you know, theatre tickets are the standard birthday gift with us ladies.  Not that I mind whatsoever - I love theatre and have been lucky enough to see seven musicals since I have been in England, including the one I am about to write about, Sister Act.
Now raising the roof at the London Palladium theatre, Sister Act is based on the fabulous film starring Whoopi Goldberg, only with a totally different score.  Apparently Touchstone Pictures refused to give them the rights to the songs in the film, but Whoopi and company were so determined to make a musical hit, they came up with all new ones.  The new score was created by eight time Oscar winner Alan Menken whose credits include Little Shop of Horrors, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid and most recently the hit movie Enchanted.  Not a bad resume; and Mr Menken has done it again.  The songs are fantastic, even if I couldn't sing along with them.
As most of you know, the story focusses on disco diva Deloris Van Cartier, who, after witnessing a murder, is put in protective custody in the one place cops are sure she won't be found - a convent! Disguised as a nun, she finds herself at odds with both the rigid lifestyle and an uptight Mother Superior. Using her unique disco moves and singing talent to inspire the choir, Deloris breathes new life into the church and community, but in doing so blows her cover. Soon the gang are giving chase, only to find themselves up against Deloris and the power of her new found Sister Hood.
The show was fantastic, of course.  Extremely funny and emotionally charged, this musical is a must-see for anyone who loves to smile for hours at a time.

No comments: