I wanted to keep some kind of journal about my life living in England, and I figured what better way to do that, while also keeping my friends and family up to date, than with a blog. So here it is - enjoy; I know I am!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Busiest Weekend EVER!


Thank goodness it was hot and sunny on the weekend of June 25th-27th considering I spent the entire time outside (and got a little burnt to prove it).  Friday night Sarah, Claire, Heather and I went to a festival called Hard Rock Calling in London (kind of like Bayfest) to see Pearl Jam, and man were they amazing!  I love love LOVE Eddie Vedder more than words can say, especially when he (they) played nearly every song I could have hoped for.  At the start of the concert Eddie asked everyone to please not push to the front because he didn't want anyone to get hurt as sometimes happens at his concerts apparently, and then it was all music from then on (3 whole hours worth!).  They played my most favourite PJ songs, including Black, Better Man, State of Love and Trust, Evenflow, World Wide Suicide, and Porch.  And, to make the night even better, when they came out for their second encore they played Alive, and this is what happened following that:
(near the end of Alive)
Me - wouldn't it be amazing if, after this song they just launch right into Yellow Ledbetter?  That would make my night."
(Pearl Jam launches into Yellow Ledbetter)
Me - OH MY GOD! (jumping up and down)
Yup.  I was pretty much in heaven.  And for the record, Yellow Ledbetter live sounds absolutely nothing like the recorded version.  Not that it really matters.
That night Sarah, Claire and I went to our hostel that we booked for the night - ₤14.00 each for the night, and it was seriously the nicest hostel I have ever stayed in.  Spacious, clean, huge fridge and dressers (not that we used them); definitely will stay there again if I ever need to spend the night in London again, which I'm sure I will.
Next morning we woke up ridiculously early for a weekend and made our way to Wimbledon.  We met Britny, Mark, Emma, Nicole and Kari there and sat in line on our blankets for about 4 hours until they opened (you have to do that as they don't sell tickets in advance).  It was okay though since it was so gorgeous outside.  Once we got in I realized I didn't really know anything about tennis and so I got a five minute explanation from Mark before I started watching a game.  But then I was hooked!  I really like it (so much so that I have even started following the tournament from home on tv)!  Kari and I watched one whole match between two French dudes (obviously cheering for the hottest one) and I managed to get a burn over top of my burn.  We wandered around after that, taking quick peeks at a bunch of different matches, and then went home.
Next day I was off to Hard Rock Calling again, only this time for Paul McCartney.  This wasn't in the original weekend plan, but Simon, Sarah's boyfriend, wanted us to go so badly that, when I told him I couldn't afford the ₤70.00 ticket, he up and bought my ticket for me.  So sweet!  So off we were again, drinking cider on the train and peeing in toilet-paperless porta potties.  It was a pretty surreal moment when Paul walked out on stage.  I mean, he's a Beatle for goodness sake!  And it was even more incredible to get to sing along with him to all my favourite Beatles tunes including A Day in the Life, Yesterday, Helter Skelter, Eleanor Rigby, Band on the Run, Let It Be, Give Peace a Chance and Hey Jude.  There were even fireworks during the rock-out parts of Live and Let Die.  SO cool.  Sarah and I danced around like crazy people the entire concert - it was so much fun.
Got in on Monday morning about 1am - very tired day at work on Monday I must admit, but it was well worth it.  I think that is the busiest weekend I have had in England excluding holidays, and it was also one of the most enjoyable.

No comments: