I wanted to keep some kind of journal about my life living in England, and I figured what better way to do that, while also keeping my friends and family up to date, than with a blog. So here it is - enjoy; I know I am!

Monday, March 22, 2010

Billy El(ton John was obviously involved in this musical)liot

For my 25th birthday my friends Sarah and Kari bought me a ticket to see Billy Elliot, the broadway musical based on the 2000 film of the same name.  Sadly I had to wait until March 4th, but oh, was it worth the wait.  This musical was, put simply, wonderful.
The story revolves around a motherless boy named Billy who trades boxing gloves for ballet shoes. The fear he has of telling his father and the loving relationship he develops with his chain-smoking, yet adoring, dance teacher, shape the story of his personal struggle and fulfillment, which is balanced against a counter-story of family and community strife caused by the UK miners' strike. 
Billy Elliot won so many awards I can't even name them all (including several Best Musical awards), but the most noteworthy award, in my opinion, occured at the 2006 Laurence Olivier Awards: thirteen year old Liam Mower, who played Billy Elliot, won Best Actor in a Musical; he was the youngest actor to ever win that award.  And honestly, if the boy I saw in the role was anything like this Liam Mower, it was well deserved.  I was just in awe when I watched him dance.  In my wildest dreams I couldn't even come close to that kind of dancing...and this kid is barely a teenager!  It brought tears to my eyes watching him move so beautifully across the stage.  People like him give true meaning to the phrase "born to dance."
The only thing that I could criticise about the show was that sometimes the accents of the actors were so thick that I couldn't understand what they were saying.  But, let's be honest: I am a dancer at heart; who needs to understand words when you have dance to tell a story?  This musical is by far one of my favorites.  I really want to see it again. Two thumbs way up...
Oh, one more thing: Elton John wrote the music to the show. 'Nuff said.

No comments: