I wanted to keep some kind of journal about my life living in England, and I figured what better way to do that, while also keeping my friends and family up to date, than with a blog. So here it is - enjoy; I know I am!

Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Globe, a Dungeon and a Burger

The day after we returned from Berlin we took Melanie to London for some sightseeing.  It was a nice day so we walked around, taking her to Buckingham Palace and then through St. James' Park to the other major touristy spots like Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the Parliament Buildings and the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. 
One site I was very excited to see was Shakespeare's Globe Theatre - how I have lived in this country for a year and a half and not yet visited this famous theatre is beyond me, especially as an English teacher and a massive lover of Shakespeare.  I was a little surprised; I expected it to be shaped like a globe (I can't imagine why...), but I guess that is just the inside part.  Regardless, I had my picture taken in front of it and am awaiting the summer months when I am planning on going to see a performance of either Hamlet or Much Ado About Nothing, both on their 2011 list.
We were heading over to The London Dungeon, but some of us (not mentioning any names here) were a little nervous so we stopped off at a pub along Southbank river called The Anchor and had a drink on the balcony to ease our nerves.  This pub was really really nice, and I am now planning on bringing my family here for a drink or two when they come visit me in June.
I'm sure those who remain nameless could have easily sat in The Anchor for hours on end, but time was ticking and we needed to join the queue at the dungeon.  The hour and a half we waited in line (to have the life scared out of us) was a little stressfull for some; we really didn't know what to expect - scary people jumping out at you; blood, guts and gore around every corner...the only thing keeping me calm was the fact that there were little children in the line ahead of us.
For those of you who aren't familiar with The London Dungeon, it's a major tourist attraction in London which features exhibits about various tortures during the Medieval Age.  It is actor-led and very interactive, which is perhaps what makes it so frightening.  I must admit, upon entrance I was extremely nervous (strange, coming from a woman who absolutely loves horror films), and slowly crept my way through the opening rooms; arms linked through Laura and Melanie, holding on for dear life; eyes darting back and forth in the pitch black, searching for the comfort of some light; stomach turning upside down, nearly reaching my throat, ready to let out a shrill, terrified scream.
As it turned out, we really were being very silly.  The Dungeon is more interesting than scary; sure there are a few "jumpy" moments, but it's painless fun that leaves you laughing afterwards.  I was really intruiged by the stories told throughout the tour.  They introduce you to all the torture devices they would use on people during the Medieval Age, and even take a "volunteer" from the audience to demonstrate. 
You learn all about the The Great Fire of London; blood-curdling medical practices; how court cases were administered; and Jack the Ripper, Sweeney Todd and Bloody Mary.  There are even two rides within the dungeons: the Boat Ride to Hell and the Drop Ride to Doom (the picture of our faces on this ride was priceless - it's just too bad I didn't have £9.00 to spend on it).  It was a really fun time, actually, and I'm very glad I was able to add that to the list of London tourist attractions I have experienced.
After the Dungeon we went for dinner at GBK (Gourmet Burger Kitchen); we had to keep with the burger theme of Melanie's trip to Europe!  We went to Piccadilly Circus afterwards for some drinks with a friend of Mark's and then made our way home.  We were exhausted after five extremely busy days, and I slept soundly that night, not wanting my fantastic February holiday to end.

1 comment:

juan said...

Love the London Dungeon, IMHO the best horror attraction in London