I wanted to keep some kind of journal about my life living in England, and I figured what better way to do that, while also keeping my friends and family up to date, than with a blog. So here it is - enjoy; I know I am!

Friday, October 16, 2009

POPcorn Poetry



On Thursday night my school hosted their annual Open Evening - a night when all the Year 6 students and their parents come to the school to check out the facilities, the teachers, and the content of each subject so they can make an informed decision about what school their children attend in Year 7.  Each school goes all out -- it's like this gigantic competition between schools to see who gets the most enrollments.  Everyone worked SO hard all week (not to mention the day-of, as most teachers, including myself, worked the whole day through, from 8am-9pm) to get everything ready and looking brilliant -- every room had to be spic and span, and most departments had some sort of fun, interactive activity going on (the history department, for example, had a murder mystery, "Cluedo").  The English department didn't really have a major activity like that, but rather each teacher did their own thing.  My room was the POPcorn Poetry room.  I had two helper students for the evening; Jake, who manned the popcorn table, and Sam, who tried her hardest to convince the Year sixes to write a poem about popcorn (believe it or not, the popcorn was more popular than the poetry).  They were great, though, and my room was definitely a favourite, as people could smell the popcorn from the other side of the school and were "following their noses" to find the source.  All in all it was a good, although very tiring, evening.

No comments: